Subject: Re: [dita] Notes on LwDITA -- xref/@type

Responding here only about this item:
> Should <xref> have @type? Otherwise, how would processors distinguish between footnote references and other types of links?

I think processors should be free to evaluate the link, figure out on their own that it's to a footnote, and proceed accordingly. This would make footnotes links work exactly the same as any other in-topic links. That is -- a figure link that results in link text of "Figure X", or a table link that results in "Table X: Table Title", are really no different than an untyped footnote link that results in a superscript "X".

The language around values for xref/@type is ... not my favorite part of the specification, and in large part comes from expected usage + tool limitations going all the way back to DITA 1.0.

The specification does say this about the @type value on links: "If there is no explicit value for the @type attribute on any ancestor, a default value of "topic" is used." It also says that "it is an error if the actual type of a DITA topic and the explicit, inherited, or default value for the @type attribute are not the same as or a specialization of the @type attribute value." Again, that goes all the way back to DITA 1.0. At the time the language was informed by tools that could not (or did not) query linked elements to determine the type.

Even with that in mind:
1. The spec is also clear that applications MAY (not MUST or even SHOULD) give warnings when they think the target type isn't right.
2. I've never seen a DITA application that warned about missing type="table" on <xref href="" even though the spec might suggest this. We shouldn't have different expectations for <xref href="">
3. I think in the Olden Days of DITA, the very first versions of DITA-OT failed with cross references to footnotes. Using type="fn" made it work. This was a toolkit bug. It works now. (Not sure when it was fixed - I think long ago, but I've verified again in the latest). The spec (LwDITA or full DITA) shouldn't make people add type="fn" to get around obsolete tool limitations.

FWIW, Chris isn't the first one to ask about this -- the LwDITA group was operating under the assumption that type="fn" was mandatory until somewhat recently. I think that early experience with DITA, where type="fn" was a widespread tool requirement, really stuck in the minds of those who ran into it, so much so that it eventually became Just How Things Are Done.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Chris Nitchie ---06/09/2017 04:16:22 PM---On the whole, I think this is good. It does a nice job of pChris Nitchie ---06/09/2017 04:16:22 PM---On the whole, I think this is good. It does a nice job of presenting a simplified grammar for author