Subject: Fwd: [dita-comment] Interaction of "processing" and "translation" attribute

For discussion on Tuesday, 20 June.

I think the tools vendor is making an incorrect assumption that resource-only items (for example, items referenced by <keydef> elements) should not be translated.

Others? And will our decision here trigger a need for an item in errata 02?

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 15:40:03 +0200 (CEST)
From: Stefan Eike <stefan.eike@mailbox.org>
To: dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear DITA TC,

I'm unsure about the interaction of the "processing" and the "translation" attributes. I had a discussion with one of our DITA tool vendors, and we interprete the specification differently.

Consider a <keydef>:

<keydef keys="foo" href=""/>

Our DITA tool vendor says, a <keydef> is resource-only and resource-only "things" should not be translated. I assumed, that the "resource-only" would not affect translations. I could not find a statement in the specs that determines that. I expected, that, by default, a <keydef> should be processed like any other element, so it should be "translated", unless translate="no" is set.

So I expected, that, if I'd like to avoid the translation of a <keydef> referenced topic, I would explicitely need to write:

<keydef keys="foo" href="" translate="no"/>

Could you please clarify?

Thank you and best regards,

Stefan Eike

-- This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC. In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required before posting. Subscribe: dita-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org Unsubscribe: dita-comment-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org List help: dita-comment-help@lists.oasis-open.org List archive: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/ Feedback License: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php Committee: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita Join OASIS: http://www.oasis-open.org/join/