Subject: Re: [dita] Review of Lightweight DITA

Dawn, I hope that folks will respond on list, not off list.

My personal take is that the audience for Lightweight DITA is folks for whom DITA 1.3 is just not an option. I would expect technical communication departments to use the Technical Content edition and the bookmap/concept/reference/task/troubleshooting information types.

For me personally, I hope that Lightweight DITA will led to the following:

  • Ability to save Google documents as DITA topics
  • Ability to use a e-mail client and author as DITA topics

I'd like to hear from others about your concerns. I think we -- the DITA TC -- needs to have good answers to the points that you raise.

Re tables -- Most of my clients use <simpletable>. They wrap it within <fig> to get a title. I think the full CALS table, with spanning and other complicated stuff, encourages writers to use tables for content that should be reworked and reconsidered.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)