Subject: RE: [dita] Feedback about "Lightweight DITA: An Introduction" change-marked draft

1. A few of the URLs in the references section can be shortened by eliminating needless, ugly parameters:

[LwDITA-cross-format-content]

https://www.slideshare.net/mpriestley/crossformat-content-with-lightweight-dita

[LwDITA-Easy-Way]

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3121204

[LwDITA-pre/overview]

http://www.slideshare.net/mpriestley/lightweight-dita-a-preoverview

2. In section 2, how about "common ground" instead of "common denominator"? The phrase "the common denominator" sets off math-nerd alarm bells. I don't like seeing terminology borrowed and imprecisely jargonized. (There's not just one "common denominator" of a set of numbers; there are infinitely many. There is a *least* common denominator, but that phrase doesn't sound as good when borrowed here.)

3. Re: "element" vs. "component" I almost completely agree with what Kris and Robert have said already. However, there is at least one occurrence of "components" that would NOT be better restored to say "elements":

                Section 4.1: "LwDITA uses a subset of the topic components that are available in DITA 1.3."

4. Btw, if we should conclude that "components" is preferable after all, then more cleanup of the document is required to eliminate "elements" and make the terminology consistent. For example, there are two paragraphs in Section 4.3 that have a confusing mix of "elements" and "components" right now.

5. I think I missed whatever discussion/feedback led to the use of the word "components" to begin with. Is the problem with "elements" that Markdown/MDITA doesn't have them? How about using the word "structures" in its place in that case? I have no real experience with Markdown but "structures" seems to read OK to me in a couple of places where "components" occurs in both Section 5.3 and 5.3.2. (I have not considered it elsewhere. I like "elements".)

mag