Subject: Re: [dita] ditabase

Hi Kris

I agree your use cases are compelling but is ditabase the only way to accomplish those compelling use cases. And is ditabase the best practice?

I guess I would prefer to have consensus on this (or agreement to not agree:) whether it gets removed or not is a second question.  I do not see any mention in the spec that it is deprecated - seems we might have to do that first if we agreed.

For existing tool vendors and existing users it is likely more of an annoyance if anything as they support it - bunch of special use code if you make use of the dita class attribute.

But for new tool vendors and new users it may be more annoying.

On 2018-04-18 5:59 PM, Kristen James Eberlein wrote:

There are several compelling use cases:

  • Aggregating small topics, such as message topics
- can be done with a nested topic.
  • Used for conref library files
- often no need for multiple topics for conref libraries so a single topic would suffice or use nested topics if need be.
  • Creating only one topic shell (assuming that all topic types need the same domains), and using the CMS templates to specify the topic type. IXIASOFT does this by default.
Not sure I fully understand the end user use case here.
  • Being useful for migrating content (WARNING: If the content stays in ditabase, that's ... icky.)
I assume you mean a package like a zip would be?  I would think external packaging is best done with zip of individual files and relative links - if I understand your point.

I think removing ditabase would be very intrusive and disruptive.

I agree, we would need a simple migration path.
Or we leave it in and we agree it is deprecated.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)