Subject: Re: [dita] Normative statements about <navtitle>

I was tempted to say that it should be a “MUST” but ultimately the presentation details of the content are a matter of style and thus which alternative a given processor chooses to use must be up to the processors, so I think SHOULD is the only option.

As a general principle, the only invariant processing rules relate to address resolution because without consistency in address resolution there is no hope of consistency in processing behavior (that is, determining what the effective content of a given set of publications processed as a unit is, irrespective of how those publications might be presented). (And even here we allow a difference in how filtering is applied for historical reasons.)

All other aspects of processing are ultimately a matter of style, even where there are strong suggestions as to what the intended result should be.

http://contrext.com