Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 07 August 2018 uploaded

Submitter's message
Submitter's apology: I overlooked three separate indications that Nancy was absent, and thus didn't realize I was "on duty" during the call. I wrote these notes afterwards to the best of my recollection. If everyone could have a read-over--especially those who were active in the conversations--and see if you notice anything missing, it would probably be wise and helpful. Thanks!

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 7 August 2018
Recorded by Tom Magliery
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Agenda-7-August-2018

Attendance:
TBD
Regrets: Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Carlos Evia, Bill Burns

Business
========

1. Spec editing needs
GitHub and GitHub tools education

- Kris is organizing and Eliot will be leading an educational session for TC members wishing to have an introduction to GitHub.
- Main goal of the session is to minimize the effort required for TC members to contribute to the spec process.
- Robert, Eliot, Kris and others offered general words of encouragement that, while GitHub may be slightly tricky to learn, its design makes it very difficult to "mess up" one's repository.
- The worst situation likely to occur is that one must delete one's local copy of a repository (or portion thereof?) and restore it from GitHub.
- Robert suggested that this actually may be likely to happen to almost anyone at some point.
- Meeting is scheduled for this Friday, 10 August at 3pm ET/noon PT.
- Kris's WebEx account (meeting information already created and sent to attendees) has limited slots for callers.
- Tom volunteered to set up a GoToMeeting; JustSystems' account can accommodate more callers. We'll switch to this if needed.

2. Normative statements in spec
Report back from Robert Anderson
OASIS guidelines: https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/keyword-guidelines

- Robert gave some background and an introduction to several of OASIS's standard keywords for normative statements in specifications.
- The most common terms we use are MUST, SHOULD, and their negations; there are a few others as well.
- It was noted that we use "RFC 2119" keywords as opposed to ISO/IEC keywords (which are also allowed by OASIS).
- OASIS specs that are also submitted to ISO are more likely to use the ISO keywords (though it is not required until the second version of an ISO spec).
- ISO keywords were briefly considered for the DITA spec some years ago, but there was opposition, in part because ISO specs are not available for free.

3. Conformance statement for LwDITA
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201807/msg00000.html (Eberlein, 02 July 2018)

- Kris summarized her initial message about this (link above).
- Alan suggested that re-use of actual content between conformance statements for DITA 2 and LwDITA may be difficult.
- Kris: There probably wouldn't be re-use at the content level, but perhaps the specs could share a general approach to it.
- Alan expressed disappointment at the (seeming) lack of conformance statements from the vendor community regarding their tools.

12 noon ET close

-- Mr. Tom Magliery
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 07 August 2018

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Tom Magliery