Subject: confusion re: XML Mention domain

Colleagues,

As I began to draft the DITA 2.0 proposal to rename several element type names in the XML Mention domain, I checked the XML Mention domain topic in the DITA 1.3 spec. I noticed the language:

Note:ÂAlthough the original XML 1.0 Recommendation specifically reserved element names beginning with "xml" or "XML"' for the use of the XML standard itself, the subsequent introduction of namespaces made the restriction unnecessary. The restriction was formally removed in theÂXML 1.0 Fifth Edition Specification Errata. The OASIS DITA Technical Committee acknowledges this revised policy in its use of the semantically precise prefix "xml" for the XML mention domain.

(Source: http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/errata02/os/complete/part3-all-inclusive/langRef/containers/xml-mention-domain.html#xml-mention-domain).

Alas, the XML 1.0. Fifth Edition errata removes the restriction against beginning element type names with any case combination of the string 'xml'. (Source: https://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-5e-errata).

Unless I am missing something (entirely possible), the original motivation for this proposal is moot. I am still open to submitting this proposal, as there was some discussion on the list about making the domain suitable for a broader range of use cases, either implicitly or explicitly. (thread - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201806/msg00010.html).

I'm open to proposing --

- Rename the XML Mention domain to something like "Tagged Markup domain"

- Remove or replace the 'xml' substring, or totally rename, four element type names (xmlelement, xmlatt, xmlnsname, xmlpi). This would be strictly for semantic reasons.

Two (related) questions -

- Does this change the TC's position on the proposal?

- Should I proceed with the stage 2 proposal, or is further discussion warranted?

Thanks!

-Alan

--
Alan Houser