Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: Info on FuncSynopsis

dcm@redhat.com wrote:

many things you have broken doing that. Having said that, I have never
found the db2pdf script and backend to work to my liking - ever.

Normally I make a ps file and then take advantage of ghostscript with
the following:

$gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=myfile.pdf myfile.ps

What you lose with this approach is the hypertext features in the pdf file. With jade and pdfjadetex configured properly, you get a hypertext TOC, hypertext indices, and hypertext within the document. This really is worth the effort IMHO of getting a combination of tools that works together. Using Redhat 6.1, db2pdf works with the following combination of rpms:

tetex-fonts-1.0.6-7
tetex-dvilj-1.0.6-7
tetex-xdvi-1.0.6-7
tetex-doc-1.0.6-7
tetex-afm-1.0.6-7
jadetex-2.7-2
tetex-1.0.6-7
tetex-dvips-1.0.6-7
tetex-latex-1.0.6-7
docbook-3.1-3
stylesheets-0.13rh-4
sgml-tools-1.0.9-5
psgml-1.0.3-6
sgml-common-0.1-7
jade-1.2.1-8

I update the dsl stylesheets myself, since nobody seems to be putting out rpms for them. stylesheets-0.13rh-4 is version 1.52 of the modular stylesheets. Norm is up to 1.54.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
kevinmd@hsc.edu