Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Strange enumeration with XSL HTML stylesheets

Hi Norm, hi list,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not as I don't understand the
architecture and the parameters of the XSL HTML stylesheets yet.

I'm using Docbook XML 4.1, XSL Stylesheets 1.13, Xalan 1.0.1, Xerces
1.0.3.

I want to transform the following document into HTML:

<book>
  <title>A book</title>
  <chapter>
    <title>A chapter</title>
    <section>
      <title>1st level section A</title>
    </section>
    <section>
      <title>1st level section B</title>
      <section>
	<title>2nd level section</title>
      </section>
    </section>
  </chapter>
</book>

This results in a section enumeration like

        1. A chapter
        1.1. 1st level section A
        1.2. 1st level section B
        1.2.2.1. 2nd level section

where the 2nd level section in my opinion should be numbered 1.2.1.
instead of 1.2.2.1.

I looked through the XSL stylesheets but somehow got lost on the
way. BTW, is there some method to create some HTML documentation out
of the <doc:*> tags in the stylesheets?

I use a customized stylesheet that looks as follows:

                version="1.0">

  <xsl:output doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Strict//EN"
              doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd"
              method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"
              omit-xml-declaration="yes" indent="yes"/>

  <xsl:include href="docbook/html/docbook.xsl"/>

  <xsl:variable name="chapter.autolabel">7</xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="section.autolabel">8</xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="section.label.includes.component.label">9</xsl:variable>

  <xsl:variable name="html.stylesheet">http://xml.niedermann.bb.bawue.de/default.css</xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="html.stylesheet.type">text/css</xsl:variable>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Does anybody know where the error is located? In front of the
keyboard, within the Xalan engine, within the XSL stylesheets?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Uli