Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBook V4.1 XML

Jorge Godoy writes:
 > It's easy to manipulate and add things such as a "PRELIMINAR"
 > background text in gray 50%, to make people who print the PS/PDF know
 > that this is not an official recommendation. This is one thing. Other
 > things might be adding cropmarks to this DVI.

you can do that in the PS or PDF. or indeed in the stylesheet

 >     >> - PS - PDF - PCL
 >     Sebastian> these are surely manageable from just one, ie PDF?
 >
 > PCL is better for printing. It makes the printer less stressed on
 > image rendering.

so convert the PS to PCL....  easy enough with Ghostscript. why
reinvent the wheel?

 >     >> - troff (unix man pages)
 >     Sebastian> easy enough.
 >
 > So, how to do it with DocBook XML?

no idea, but its just a transformation to text, so no new technology
is needed, just some XSL programming

 >     >> - texinfo
 >     Sebastian> why?
 >
 > It's output is good!

good god. we do have different aesthetics.....

 >     Sebastian> get it from one of the others
 >
 > It would be interesting to have it generated directly from the
 > source. Getting it from others requires aditional tools and these
 > aren't always easy to get for every platform that you need.

yes, just another transform then

 > This is the bad thing that happen to us: you need to find one. There
 > should be more things on the formatting/converting tools to prevent
 > you from having to look after one tool to get a basic format... :-\

With respect, there "There should be" statement is a bit
disingenuous. The tools will be there if someone writes them! You
cannot magic them out of thin air. We all chose to go down this route
of *ML markup, of our own volition; no-one told is it would be a
simple path.

as have said a million times, transform to TeX if you want quick and
easy high quality printed pages...

Sebastian