Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: M$word and docbook/xml

as someone already mentioned, doing a "save as HTML" from Word gets
you rather a useful file. follow that by  any or all of

 - Raggett's tidy
 - a nice XSL transformation
 - a dirty Perl script
 - a dozen emacs macros

and you can get a load of useable markup pretty fast. I alternate
between that and Majix, depending on how I feel when I get some vile
.doc file.

to my mind, the key tool (whatever else comes before or after it) is a
really good editor for doing complex search and replace, preferably
across multiple files. this is why god gave us emacs.  I would say to
every person considering Word to XML: "are you happy to load the file
into a text editor and hack the markup by hand? if not, don't take on
the task"

Sebastian

PS a note to the wise - just because I recommended Majix does NOT mean
I am the right person to ask about it :-}