Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBookV 4.1 XML

GL> Not to mention that all but 1 info reader that I've used so far is
GL> just about IMPOSSIBLE for a *nix newbie to use.

KE> FUD -- Try tkinfo.  Or tell your users how to use Emacs (yes, I've
KE> done this and it works); why do you thing Emacs' Info isn't
KE> userfriendly?  All clickable things are highlighted, though.
KE> Conclusio: some prefer HTML, others Info -- provide both.

Exactly my point.  I've nothing against HTML support, and obviously it
would be silly to *not* have it, info is just another way (and for
many people, very useful and convenient way) to view DocBook
documents.  It's also a powerful argument for content-based markup
like XML/SGML because you _can_ generate so many different formats!
Vive La Difference!  If you don't like info, don't use it, it's not a
zero-sum game, where using one format, means that you can't have
another...

KE> The Emacs Info reader lacks graphics support (to be solved with
KE> version 21.1?).  Nevertheless it's useful.

Agreed.

[...]

KE> Without external support, this simply doesn't work for HTML pages.
KE> Using Info (stand alone or within Emacs) hit `sREGEX RET' and
KE> watch the screen...

Excellent for searching API documentation quickly (i.e. you don't have
to wade your way through an index).

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * alexl@bigfoot.com * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242