Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Getting Rid of Character Entities in DocBook XML Docs

Hi!

Thanks for your hints!

On 11 Aug 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> | FATAL ERROR: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared.
>
> That's just wrong, if you're using DocBook XML 4.*; nbsp is declared
> in iso-num.ent. You do have to do a validating parse of the input
> document, though. Or, at least, the parser has to read the external
> subset.  Could that be the problem?

Yes, this seems to be the problem. Unfortunately, I can't think of an XSLT
processor that automatically reads in the entity files. How does XML
"know" about these files, by the way? AFAIK, these files are referenced in
the catalog files, which are only used by DSSSL processors, like jade or
openjade. Or am I wrong on this issue?

> Come to think of it, fop only sees the FO tree, which shouldn't have
> any nbsp's in it. So now I'm confused again. Where does the process
> fail?
>
>   source -> FO with xalan

The xalan processing fails:

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in
evaluation_textverarbeitungssysteme.xml -xsl
/opt/xml-root/xsl/docbook/fo/docbook.xsl -out
evaluation_textverarbeitungssysteme.fo
========= Parsing file:/opt/xml-root/xsl/docbook/fo/docbook.xsl ==========
Parse of file:/opt/xml-root/xsl/docbook/fo/docbook.xsl took 19303
milliseconds
========= Parsing
file:/home/hrauch/heitec_doc/evaluation_textverarbeitungssysteme.xml
==========
file:/home/hrauch/heitec_doc/evaluation_textverarbeitungssysteme.xml; Line
206; Column 30
XSL Error: Could not parse
file:/home/hrauch/heitec_doc/evaluation_textverarbeitungssysteme.xml
document!
XSLT: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared.
Xalan: was not successful.
XSLProcessor: done

Thanks for any hints!

Greetings,