Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Getting Rid of Character Entities in DocBook XML Docs

Hi Norm!

On 14 Aug 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> Do you have a <!DOCTYPE declaration in this file?

I got a <!DOCTYPE ...> declaration in the original SGML file which looks
as follows:

<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [
]>

After I had converted the file to XML using "osx", it seemed like the
declaration was dropped and all that was left was:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Do I have to insert a <!DOCTPYE ...> declaration manually in such a case?
Or is "osx" just the "wrong" tool to convert SGML documents to XML? If so,
what would be a good alternative?

> This test file works fine for me:
>
> <!DOCTYPE para SYSTEM "/share/doctypes/docbook/xml/docbookx.dtd">
> <para>This is a&nbsp;test.</para>

Thanks a lot for your helpful comments and especially for supplying a test
case. I will try to insert a <!DOCTYPE ...> declaration having a SYSTEM
identifier instead of a PUBLIC one and check out what happens...

Greetings,

	Holger