Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: Efficiently including images in DocBook

/ Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
| [ shifting this to -apps ]

[Thank you.]

| It's attached.  I've verified this with 1.57 of the stylesheets.  The HTML
| and HTML-without-graphics versions are produced correctly, the PS and PDF
| versions both use the ASCII art instead of the appropriate image file.

Ok, the trouble is that mediaobject doesn't have exactly the same semantics
as graphic. The whole point of mediaobject was to allow documents to specify
multiple alternative presentations. You have:

    <mediaobject>
      <imageobject>
	<imagedata fileref="fig1">
      </imageobject>
      <textobject>
	<literallayout>
+---------+
|    A    |
+---------+
	</literallayout>
      </textobject>
      <textobject>
	<phrase>My first image</phrase>
      </textobject>
    </mediaobject>

And you're expectation is that the stylesheets will use
%graphic-default-extension% to augment 'fig1' appropriately. What you
"should" have in your document is:

    <mediaobject>
      <imageobject>
	<imagedata fileref="fig1.eps">
      </imageobject>
      <imageobject>
	<imagedata fileref="fig1.png">
      </imageobject>
      <textobject>
	<literallayout>
+---------+
|    A    |
+---------+
	</literallayout>
      </textobject>
      <textobject>
	<phrase>My first image</phrase>
      </textobject>
    </mediaobject>

With this markup, the print and HTML stylesheets will make the right
selections.

Having said that, I've also fixed it so that a single imageobject with a
filename that does not have an extension works as you expected :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | So, are you working on finding