Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: Efficiently including images in DocBook

Sebastian,

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 08:34:20PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Nik Clayton writes:
>  > > off. Get TeX mode to *omit the suffix entirely* in the output, and
>  > > then the version of TeX (TeX or pdftex) can work out which file to
>  > > include. So write out a request for file "foo", and pdftex will choose
>  > > foo.pdf, and normal TeX will choose foo.eps
>  >
>  > How does that help when I want pdftex to choose foo.png?
>
> If you have both PNG and PDF versions of a graphic, the search order
> is fixed. Actually, PNG comes first in the default, but you can change
> that order if you need.

Can you provide me with pointers where I can find out how to change the
default?  I'd hoped to be able to use the same .png files in the PDF
as with the HTML.  However, going from EPS to PNG, and then using the
PNG in the generated PDF file leads to blocky graphics.

I can't simply remove any existing PNG files and reconvert them with a
different scaling, because the user might want to do

    make article.html article.ps article.pdf

in which case I can't fiddle with the .png files when building article.pdf,
as that would affect the images used by article.html.

Thanks,