Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: OpenJade/DocBook XML/DSO Stylesheets: iso entities

/ Phillip Shelton <shelton@usq.edu.au> was heard to say:
| It is an .ent files problem. Using jade and DSSSL to compile the .xml file
| you need to use the entity files that are set up like this;

You actually need both sets.

DSSSL stylesheets are SGML documents using a more-or-less "normal"
SGML declaration. They need entity sets that are written in terms
of SDATA like the ISO entities:

| <!ENTITY cularr SDATA "[cularr]"--/curvearrowleft A: left curved arrow -->

But to process XML documents, if the XML document needs an entity set,
it has to have the "Unicode" form of the entities:

| <!ENTITY cularr	"&#x21B6;"> <!-- ANTICLOCKWISE TOP SEMICIRCLE ARROW -->

Since the DSSSL stylesheets us public identifiers for the ISO entities,
you can setup your catalog so that

  PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"

points to the SGML form and

  PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN//XML"

points to the XML form. (The XML form also has system identifiers, so
it's not absolutely necessary to point to them in a catalog).

| Question. What problems am I introducing by using the first file?

None, as long as you don't try to use the first form in an XML document.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe