Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: RE: Simple example to generate a TOC in a DVI and aPDFfile

Ross Smith wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a simple DocBook example SGML file, and supporting
> commands, shell scripts, make files, etc. to build a PDF file (which will in
> the process create a DVI file) that contains "bookmarks".

I'm not sure, if there is out-of-the-box solution based on open-source
and freely available software. If you want get bookmarks in PDF with
free software there are two possibilities known to me:

1.
- Get TeX source with PostScript special commands to include bookmarks
from DocBook source
- then process it with TeX
- then process it with dvips
- then process it with Distiller or PStill

2.
- Get LaTeX source from DocBook and include hyperref package.
- process it with pdftex -> you will get PDF file with bookmarks

Ad 1. AFAIK jadetex backend from Jade does not generate PostScript
specials, which can be turn into PDF bookmarks.

Ad 2. If you want to get LaTeX source from DocBook, there is
experimental stylesheet
http://www.infres.enst.fr/~casellas/docbook.html
Stylesheet is written in XSLT, so you would need to convert your SGML
file to XML before processing. Including hyperref package and processing
with pdflatex should produce desired output (but I personally did not
tested LaTeX stylesheets and whole processes).

If I want to get PDF with bookmarks, I process DocBook (SGML or XML)
with Jade using RTF output. Then I open RTF in Word and use Acrobat
Distiller's integration with Word to generate bookmarked PDF (Word is
able to map heading styles to bookmarks).

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz