Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: configuring the docbook major mode for GNU Emacs (Win NT)

Since Emacs is mentioned so often in this list as an editor, I thought I'd
take a look at it and try the configuration that Norm Walsh created for
editing docbook files. I'm a bit stuck at the following instruction in the
README file:

>> 4. Add the elisp code in dot_emacs to your .emacs file.

As far as I can tell there is no such file in the NT distribution of Emacs.
What's the equivalent in this context?