Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: [Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@imag.fr>]libxml-2.2.12 amd libxslt-0.0.1 are out

There's a new XSLT implementation out there, by Daniel Veillard, author
of libxml, which is one of the best XML routines out there.  I thought
some of you might like to play around with this, although it's still in
the alpha stage.  I'll forward a 1.0 release to here as well (unless
Norm asks me not to), but I won't forward any interm alpha/beta
announcements.

    Greg

[ Sending to gnome-hackers since some of you may be interested in
  the upcoming XSLT support, Daniel                                ]

  This is available at:
    http://xmlsoft.org/
    ftp://xmlsoft.org/
  and
    in the stable tree of gnome.org for libxml2
    and unstable tree for libxslt

  Well basically libxml-2.2.12 is a nearly normal realease, I
integrated a number of bugfixes, pacthed quite a few things, and
now honnestly now the XPath implementation seems decent, at least
good enought to run some non-trivial XSLT on top of it. Some of
the main chnages in the version were actually infrastructure changes
needed for the XSLT implementation. It should not break applications
based on libxml2 previous versions.

  On the other hand libxslt-0.0.1 is an Alpha release. I tried to
cover a reasonable number of features from the XSLT-1.0 spec but it's
clearly not feature complete. Check the FEATURES file to get a
precise idea. The embedded xmlproc test program allow
to run non-trivial transformations anyway.

  The big parts missing are:
    - Imports
    - Includes
    - Key support
    - Extensions
    - Embedding Stylesheets
    - xsl:namespace-alias
    - xsl:attribute-set
    - xsl:element
    - xsl:copy
    - xsl:copy-of
    - xsl:number/xsl:decimal-format
    - xsl:choose/xsl:when/xsl:otherwise
    - xsl:message
    - document() is incomplete
    - key and predicates in patterns

  A quick grep on FEATURES indicates 79 YES and 68 NO.
I hope to reach feature completion in 2-3 weeks. Bjorn Reese provided
formatting functions so I expect formatting to be in quite soon.

  What really need work is testing and documentation too, I will work
on the later but if you already have XSLT examples and use cases,
well I would appreciate reports. Please provide the input files and
stylesheet and the expected result. Portability report welcome too,
I expect to handle it basically the same way as libxml (sub dir for
"foreign" OSes).

 It is probable that libxml and libxslt will have different releases
schedule in the future. I expect to ship a new XSLT version approximately
every weeks in the next month, so stay tuned, of course it's in
CVS under libxslt module,

Daniel

veillard@redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/