Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: representing and rendering symbol characters

Erik Hennum wrote:

> However, Netscape 4.7 on Windows doesn't render Α
>
> In fact, in my test document, Netscape 4.7 seems to render
> less than half of the generated Unicode characters.  Internet
> Explorer 5.5 seems only a little better.  For instance, neither
> seems to render any of the Unicode characters generated
> from iso-amsn.ent.

I this case, the easiest way would be use entities in XML, and at the
start of XML file redefine it replace with tags to insert corresponding
pictures. Once there will be better support for Unicode in browsers, you
will just switch off your declarations.

Do something like this:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "..." "..." [
<!ENTITY % myentities SYSTEM "myent.ent">
%myentities;
]>
<book>

... Use common entities like &Agr; ...
</book>

myent.ent File:

<!ENTITY Agr "<inlinemediaobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata format='eps' fileref='Agr.eps'/>
</imageobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata format='gif' fileref='Agr.gif'/>
</imageobject>
</inlinemediaobject>">

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz