Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem converting DB to PDF...

Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Nik Clayton wrote on 010210 00:27 +0000:
> >   a few times, to generate the .pdf file.
> >
> >   That's that, pretty much.  You can see BSD style .mk files that
> >   implement all of this, at
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/share/mk/
> >
> >   and pay particular attention to doc.docbook.mk.  I'm not aware of any
> >   Linux distributions (with scripts like dbtopdf) that make this level
> >   of customisation possible.

I agree that the script stuff such as dbtopdf (and even sgmltools, in
a way) is a flawed approach.

I have an unreleased but I think pretty decent system, 'preheat'.
This is a scheme-based system.  You specify a little scheme file with
the local stuff to build and customization, for instance:

  (make-docbook-document
    "manual.xml"
    '("common-data.xml") ; dependancies
    'stylesheet "/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/onshore/docbook-onshore.dsl"
    'html-subdir "manual"
    'handle-images? #t
    'nsgmls-prog "onsgmls"
   )

The it makes a ton of (SYSV, although I might have let some GNU'isms
sneak in) makefile rules, so I can say:

  'make manual.html'
  'make manual.pdf'
  'make manual.dvi'

A neat thing it does is automatically generate and handle dependancy
files for each main SGML or XML source.  It looks for A FILEREF stuff
in the ESIS stream based on nsgmls output kinda a la gcc -M.

Another neat thing in the same vein is look for image references if
you tell it to ('handle-images?) and will automatically convert the
images into the right format. I'm still trying to get the
preheat/documenter interface right for automatically setting suffixes.

Anyone wanting to check it out can find source (for now) at
http://internal.onshore.com/debian/local/preheat_0.5.2.orig.tar.gz and
a deb at
http://internal.onshore.com/debian/local/preheat_0.5.2-1_all.deb .
I'm hoping to release that to the world soon, and also include
debiandoc-sgml and sgmltools-lite support.

Anyhow, Nik, your system looks good -- good enough to go through and
cull ideas from.

> I fetched the above mentioned FreeBSD Makefiles and adapted them
> especially to Debian/GNU Linux (pathnames, etc.). Up to now there is no
> additional documentation except the .mk files itself - and the original
> posting of Nik of course!
>
> You will find a tarball at: http://www.miwie.org/docbkmake/
>
> Feedback is welcome :-)

FYI, freebsd.dsl is already shipped on debian systems, in the
docbook-stylesheets package.