Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem converting DB to PDF...

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 12:18:15PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > Any pointers to SYSV make?
> >
> > There's an O'Reilly book -- other than that, the GNU Make info pages
> > have a section on differences with SYSV make.
>
> Any source code?

For SYSV make?  No -- no idea.

> I've got the O'Reilly "Managing software development
> with make" book (at least, I think that's what it's called).

Yes, that's the one.

> > > Absolutely.
> >
> > Do you think I should just adapt the *BSD ones?  It seems like you
> > have a wider install base than I do ... :)
>
> Well, it would certainly make my life easier :-)

will do.

> I wouldn't mind a second opinion.  Some of the names have been plucked
> from thin air, and obviously, I've only been concentrating on the
> problem space immediately in front of me.  If you or anyone else can
> make suggestions for improvements I'm happy to use them.

I like them.  You use output.html whereas I use 'html'.

I don't know if you've played around with OpenJade, but it's nice
because I can do things on the cmdline such as:

  -V%root-filename%=<name>

rather than rely on things being set right in the SGML or XML file.

> Given that I wanted the authors to be able to write
>
>     <imagedata fileref="figure1" ... >
>
> with no mention of the file's extension, the stylesheets would have had
> to somehow work out when to add ".eps" and when to add ".halfsize.eps"
> to the filename.
>
> [ Actually, I'm relying on TeX to add the .eps for me, so the
> stylesheets would have to decide whether to leave the filename alone, or
> whether to add .halfsize to the filename ]
>
> It's entirely feasible for a document to contain images where the source
> format is a mix of PNG and EPS.  Anything that contains a mixture of
> vector art and screenshots, for example.

I'm not satisfied with that.  I am trying to assert a bit more
control.  For instance, what if, for PDF output, you want your vector
files rendered as PDF and the bitmap files rendered as PNG?  You're
screwed.

Plus, what if the TeX folks decide to change the default?
Kablooie, you have tons of broken files.

I'm still not sure of the best way to do this. I'm looking at setting
-V%graphic-default-extension%=.suffix on the command-line (which is
good for OpenJade users).  The author is able to leave off the suffix
for the default or else set a suffix explicitly.

> I only want to add .halfsize to the .eps files that were generated from
> .png files.  So my stylesheets would then have to know what the original
> source format for the image was.

Yes -- I cannot know in my stuff what the original format is either...

> Hence you would have to write something like
>
>     <imagedata fileref="figure1" format="PNG">

No, see above.

> I understand that there are problems building OpenJade on the Alpha
> platform, which is why the FDP hasn't switched yet from Jade to
> OpenJade.  I don't know what those problems are.

Fixed in CVS.  Debian has openjade for all arches.

I'm kinda running OpenJade maintenance right now -- I hope to release
a new openjade development version RSN.