Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem converting DB to PDF...

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:15:04PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> As far as the *author* is concerned, they should be providing images in
> one of two formats, EPS, or PNG, depending on whichever is most
> appropriate.

My assumptions are different, I guess, that's all.  I let people
provide images in whatever format that I can convert out of (.fig,
.dia just added in CVS, .jpeg, .gif, whatever).

> In particular, they should *not* be providing me with the
> same image in two different formats.

No.  Well, I actually have no idea what the source format is in
preheat... I just know (given the output format we're trying to make,
and I do this via makefile dependancies) what format of image I
*want*.

> For PDF output, we have to convert any supplied EPS files to PDF.

I actually make a similar assumption but I think I'm wrong in doing
that.  The PDFTeX stuff can actually handle both PNG and PDF.  I'm
hoping to let the user either go with the stock default (PDF), set
their own default (out of PDF or PNG), and in combination, allow
per-figure override if they like (but I haven't worked this out in
practice, so I don't even know if it's doable or not -- makes it a lot
harder to auto-generate the dependancies).

> The Makefiles (specifically, doc.images.mk) takes care of doing the
> conversion.

Yes, ditto.

> > Plus, what if the TeX folks decide to change the default?
> > Kablooie, you have tons of broken files.
>
> No.  As the first step *after* (Open)Jade has generated the .tex file we
> prepend a line of TeX that makes sure the defaults are set to what we
> expect them to be.

Oh, can I say "ew" to that?

> > > I understand that there are problems building OpenJade on the Alpha
> > > platform, which is why the FDP hasn't switched yet from Jade to
> > > OpenJade.  I don't know what those problems are.
> >
> > Fixed in CVS.  Debian has openjade for all arches.
>
> My mistake.  It's Jade that has problems on alphas, not OpenJade.

IIRC it was a "width of integer assumption" type problem.  Thus legacy
jade will have problems in ia64 as well.

Boy, I wish I had just *one* C++ hacker working on openjade so it
wasn't so god-awful slow.