Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Xalan error with Norm stylesheets...

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bob Stayton wrote:

> If it is any comfort, I have found that Norm's stylesheets
> are an excellent stress test of any XSLT processor because they
> exercise so much of the spec.  Most test stylesheets just
> do a few templates for sanity checking.  I even suggested that
> the Xalan folks use his stylesheets as part of their
> test suite.
>
> Given your CLASSPATH, I suspect a mismatch between the
> parser and Xalan.  When I run Xalan, I specifically add
> xerces.jar and bsf.jar to my CLASSPATH.  In your CLASSPATH,
> I think jdom is serving as your parser.  In my experience,
> Xalan seems to depend on a specific version of Xerces.
> My classpath is set like this in a script I use to
> execute java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process:

JDOM is a Java API to build and manage documents in a simpler way than
with DOM. I use it because it's very simple and fast, but nevertheless it
features almost all I need, without the extreme complexity of W3C DOM API.

But the main point here is that it's not a parser. Actually, I evevn tried
to compile my DocBook documents with just xalan in the CLASSPATH, and it
still works only for the Xalan examples (or other simple test documents).

> XALAN=/home/bobs/xalan-j_2_0_0/bin
> CLASSPATH=$XALAN/xerces.jar:$XALAN/xalan.jar:$XALAN/bsf.jar
>
> These files all come with the Xalan2 distribution.
> This ensures the matching xerces parser for Xalan2.
> Hope this helps.

As I tell you above, I experienced that Xerces does not need to appear in
the CLASSPATH. Just I few minutes ago I tried again with a CLASSPATH
identical to yours, but the usual message still appears.

Anyway, many thanks.

> bobs
> Bob Stayton                                 400 Encinal Street
> Publications Architect                      Santa Cruz, CA  95060
> Technical Publications                      voice: (831) 427-7796
> The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
>                                             email: bobs@sco.com

|   Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.                          |
|   Virtual System Administrator                     |
|   Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico (ICCU)   |
|   Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY          |
|   Tel. +3964989509                                 |