Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Does JadeTeX work? (& Juan's response)

From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:08:14 +0000

>David Nelson writes:
> > 1. Erroneous page numbers: when a figure or a section near the bottom
> >    of a page gets wrapped over to the next page, the page number in
> >    the Table of Contents/List of Figures is the previous page (n-1),
> >    not the actual page (n).
>
>its probably because the stylesheet puts the label on a containing
>element which *does* start in page n-1

Yes, that's exactly what happens. And not just for the TOC and LOT, any LINK or XREF to a table or figure will have the same problem. I made the following test:

<LINK LINKND="L1" >L1<LINK>
<LINK LINKND="L2" >L2<LINK>
<LINK LINKND="L3" >L3<LINK>
<LINK LINKND="L4" >L4<LINK>
<PARA>Blah blah blah</PARA>
<FIGURE ID="L1" >
  <TITLE ID="L2" >The Title</TITLE>
  <MEDIAOBJECT ID="L3" >.....</MEDIAOBJECT>
</FIGURE>
<PARA ID="L4" >Blah blah blah</PARA>

In those cases where the figure is bumped from the bottom of the page
to the top of the next one, L1, L2, and L4 all point to the wrong page.
Only L3 points to the correct page. I was especially surprised that
L4 didn't work, I just put it in to have something that would certainly
point to the right place, and it didn't.

As a workaround, I manually position my figures and tables so that they
appear in the middle of a page, but this violates the media-independence
of the sgml.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry