Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Need Advice on an XSLT Processor

Bill Lawrence wrote:

> I've tried XALAN/XERCES, XT, and the Java version of SAXON, all of which
> crash with "out of memory" errors.  Instant SAXON actually will accomodate
> the entire set, but on documents that large it slows down far too much to
> allow me to process the set within the 24 hour limitiation.  Does anyone
> have any suggestions, or am I (as I suspect) simply trying to process a
> document set that is beyond the capabilities of current tools?

If you will use normal Java Saxon, you can increase amount of memory
available for JVM. For Sun's Java this can be set by parameter (-Xmx)

java -Xmx1000000000 ....

This will allow to JVM (and also Saxon) to use 1GB of RAM. This should
solve your problem with out-of memory errors.

I have successfully used Saxon to generate HTML Help from PHPDOC (it is
set of DocBook files, which have about 2000-3000 pages in print). It
taked about 1 hour on Celeron 400 MHz with 128 MB of RAM.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz