Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Normalizing spaces?

Indeed not: the DSSSL spec describes input-whitespace-treatment as a characteristic of characters, and doesn't discuss declare-initial-value at all.

I deduce from its behavior that declare-initial-value sets a characteristic that will be inherited by all element rules unless overridden by a more specific declaration, and it's this inheritance mechanism that gets space characters to have this characteristic, resulting in Jade collapsing them.

Very interesting.

At 07:04 AM 5/10/01 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
At 05:09 AM 5/10/01, M. Wroth wrote:
>I asked this question on the DSSSList, and Daniel Speck <dspeck@bna.com> suggested that it may be as simple as setting
>
>(declare-initial-value input-whitespace-treatment 'collapse)
>
>While at this point in my education, this is a pure magic incantation,

 From long ago memory, (declare-initial-value ......
is one of the things that jade does to set a parameter to its
basic operation.
I seem to recall using it for something or other such as setting
basic font-size, e.g. (declare-initial-font-size 14pt)

If I'm right (I am occasionally!!) then you won't find much in
the way of documentation or a function definition unless its
a part of the spec etc.

HTH DaveP