Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: character encoding in html

Dave,

What's the problem exactly? Your link is dead*, so I couldn't check, but
I've used the <META http-equiv...> tag exactly as shown (i.e. with
semi-colon) and haven't seen problems in IE5.5

Tony

*Maybe you meant '.../idx.html'? I don't see an obvious problem there; I'm
using IE5.50.4522.1800CO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Pawson [mailto:daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 11:36 AM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: character encoding in html

I've just had the first sensible suggestion for
clearing complaints I've had for months.

Problem.

Browser ie5.5 (not 5.01)

problem line

I'm told (David LeBlanc) that the semicolon between
html and charset is causing the problem.

removing it clears the problem.

All my faq pages are so coded.
The problem moved with me from XT through to saxon.
(I'm using website btw).

I wonder if any others could confirm or deny that this is an issue?
e.g. my web pages at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/index.html

I'm curious if it has any effect on netscape, especially since
I'm not using any special characters AFAIK.

TIA, DaveP