Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: JadeTeX: Installation Instructions Questions

I'm verifying my installation process of my entire DocBook toolchain on
BSD/OS 4.2.  I'm using the version of teTeX included with BSD/OS and
JadeTeX 3.3.  In doing so, I discovered that the way in which I had
installed JadeTeX previously, which seemed to work:

  # <unzip distribution>
  # <increase settings in /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>
  # texhash
  # cd /usr/local/share/jadetex
  # tex -ini -progname=hugelatex -fmt=hugelatex latex.ltx
  # cp hugelatex.fmt /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/
  # make; make install

is different than the method recommended in the JadeTeX docs
(jadetex/doc/install.pdf):

  # <unzip distribution>
  # <increase settings in /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>
  # cp -R /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/contrib /tmp
  # cd /tmp/config
  # tex -ini -progname=hugelate latex.ini
  # cp latex.fmt hugelatex.fmt
  # mv hugelatex.fmt /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/
  # ln -s /usr/contrib/teTeX/bin/tex /usr/local/bin/hugelatex
  # make install
  # ln -s /usr/contrib/teTeX/bin/tex /usr/local/bin/jadetex
  # ln -s /usr/contrib/teTeX/bin/pdftex /usr/local/bin/pdfjadetex
  # mktexlsr

My questions:
- Should I make hugelatex.fmt from the TeX distribution or from the
  JadeTeX distribution?

- Is it necessary to make the static links?  I had been using
  -progname=jadetex in the past, which seemed to work.

- At what point do I need texhash and mktexlsr?  Both commands report
  that they are "Updating /usr/contrib/teTeX/share/texmf/ls-R..."

Thanks very much,
Debbie
--
Deborah G. Lidl                              Toll free: 1.888.849.2734
deborah.lidl@windriver.com       Wind River      Phone: 1.301.765.7945