Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

Jesse Goerz writes:
> I'm working on a Debian system (partial woody) and I've
> installed all the packages from this site:
> http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/debian/old/

Uh oh. I hear that guy's a real hack.

> and xsltproc and the relevant dependencies out of testing.

xsltproc shouldn't be involved in what you're doing. Those package
dependencies are intentionally lax, given the rapid pace at which
things are changing lately.

> I also downloaded saxon from here:
> http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/
>
> Before I develop the website I thought I should build the test
> website on my system.
>
> After downloading and viewing Mark's slides I tried to build the
> xml website with this command:
>
> $ java -classpath \
> /home/jesse/newbiedoc/website/downloads/saxon.jar \
> website.xml /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/xsl/docbook/nwalsh/website\
> /website.xsl

You're close. Really close. You simply left out the call to the actual
code that does the processing. In this case it's a java class:

  com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet

The general form is usually:

  $JAVA_INTERPRETER [options] $JAVA_CLASS [input to java class]

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: \
> website/xml

The error message means the JVM thought you were calling the class
named "website.xml", which it couldn't find.

Try this:

$ java -classpath \
  /home/jesse/newbiedoc/website/downloads/saxon.jar \
  com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet website.xml \
  /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/xsl/docbook/nwalsh/website\
/website.xsl

Try using the chunk-tabular.xsl stylesheet, instead of website.xsl, it
has fancier output.

BTW, if you install the saxon-catalog package from the dulug site, you
get catalog support and a cheezy script that shows you the command you
need to call saxon.

Lemme know if you have any more problems -- I've experienced most of
them myself.

Mark

Mark Johnson
Duke Physics        <mark@duke.edu>
Debian SGML         <mrj@debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81