Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: Slightly OT: Editor Encoding Issues

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Rahtz
[mailto:sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 10:02 PM
To: Holger.Rauch@heitec.de
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Holger Rauch writes:
 > Is there any way to use Emacs PSGML mode on both Unix and Win* WITHOUT
 > changing the encoding of the DocBook XML document when switching between
 > the two systems? (Usually, one either has to specify
 >
 > encoding="iso-8859-1" or
 > encoding="windows-1250"
 >
 > depending whether one is working on Unix or on Win*.)

why use these horrible encodings anyway? whats wrong with the default
utf-8, which emacs is well able to support?

 > I already asked on the PSGML users mailing list on how to make PSGML mode
 > Unicode aware but I got no replies.

look at the "tei-emacs" packaging of emacs, psgml etc on
http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/TEI/Software/. In there are including patches
to psgml etc which read the XML file's encoding attribute properly,
and take appropriate action. You load a normal XML file with no
encoding, it defaults to utf-8 mode.

Sebastian