Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Mapping from documentation to original files

Hello,

I am working with an xml-based system that generates documentation
of software systems (the dtd used is not docbook). I am interested in
the reverse mapping of text from the generated documentation to the
original files where the text comes from. That is, when navigating
the documentation on the computer, how to know the file from which
the text I am reading originated, and how to edit this file
automatically from the program I am using to navigate the
documentation.

Pointers to tools, or anything, that deal with this problem are
welcome. Please send answers also to my address.

Thanks in advance,
Marielle