Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Typesetting Mathematics with DocBook

From: "Rafael R. Sevilla" <sevillar@team.ph.inter.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:13:05 +0800 (PHT)

>I guess the only way to go as far as this is concerned is to use
>PassiveTeX and MathML.  After about five years of working with LaTeX I

FYI, it is possible to use jade, dsssl, and jadetex to format TeX
equations. ".tex" is a valid graphics extension, just treat equations
as any other graphic. For example, eqn1.tex might contain:

\begin{displaymath}
\int H(x,x')\psi(x')dx' = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}
\psi(x)+V(x)\psi(x)
\end{displaymath}

This is used in your docbook:

<equation id="EQN1">
<title>this is an equation</title>
<mediaobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata format="tex" fileref="figures/eqn1.tex">
</imageobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata format="gif" fileref="figures/eqn1.gif">
</imageobject>
</mediaobject>
</equation>

Jade, dsssl, jadetex automatically numbers the equations and XREF
correctly refers to equations by number.

For examples, see cator.hsc.edu/~kmd/docbook/equations/

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry