Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Example and other formal numbers in XSL-FO

I reported bug 426081 [1] after investigating a similar issue.  In a
previous version of the stylesheets, an xref to a figure (or example, et
al.) displayed just the label and number, with no trailing period ("Figure
1").  Subsequent versions have displayed a trailing period ("Figure 1.") or
the label ("Figure 1. Widget production").

One workaround (in 1.38) is to edit common/en.xml.  You should see a line like

   <template name="figure" text="Figure %n. %t"/>

Change it to

   <template name="figure" text="Figure %n"/>

I don't use the FO stylesheets, so I can't tell you why they behave
differently.
_____
1.
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=373747&aid=426081&group_id=21935>.