Subject: Re: XSLT for text files ?(Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XSL from DocBook refentry-> man)

To Walsh-san's comment:

Dave Pawson-san wrote:

> Yes, but some text based formats use non XML characters.
> The ones I've heard requested were less than 9 in an ASCII encoding?

If ASCII is what you want, then why not specify the encoding:

  <xsl:output method="text" encoding="USASCII"/>

I use this often for Japanese HTML pages where the "standard" is iso-2022-jp:

  <xsl:output method="html" encoding="ISO-2022-JP" indent="yes"/>

I imagine that Japanese man pages would need the same thing rather than UTF-8
output.

(Note:  I know that the above method="html" works with an encoding.  I
haven't confirmed or disproven that it works with method="text".)

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/