Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: openjade status ? [was: JadeTeX and vertical alignmentin tables ?]

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:05:30PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > Arg.  Is there any easy way round ?
> no, I think not
>
> > How difficult would this be to implement vertical positionning the
> > right way, so that all those problems are solved ?  I did not look at
> > JadeTeX source, but I guess I could give it a try - unless you feel it
> > requires too much knowledge of the whole thing...
>
> if i was rewriting jadetex from scratch (whicg I am not!), I'd throw
> away TeX tables and build up cells from scratch. that may be the
> only viable approach

I had a first look, and am wondering.  There are 3 sets of
column-styles, and jade uses the oldest one.  OTOH openjade refuses to
process Norm's stylesheets - and I it similarly barfs on my stylesheet
customizations.

$ openjade -t tex -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/nwalsh/print/docbook.dsl sample-tbl.docbook
openjade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/nwalsh/print/dbtable.dsl:404:5:E: flow object not accepted by port; only table-column flow objects followed by table-row or table-cell flow objects allowd
$ openjade -v
openjade:I: "OpenJade" version "1.4devel"
openjade:I: "OpenSP" version "1.5pre5"

Is openjade usable at all ?  Is it just 1.4devel that is not
stabilized enough, and 1.3 should be used ?

It is also much MUCH slower than jade at processing documents :(

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel Libre