Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Sun Resolver classes released

/ Eric Richardson <eric.richardson@milagrosoft.com> was heard to say:
| If you don't provide a CatalogManager.properties then the following
| occurs and it just hangs.
|
| html:
|      [echo] Transforming: example.xml
|      [echo] Into        :
| /home/maxwell/pws/jdocbook/jdocbook_02/docroot/docs/example/example.html
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
|      [java] Cannot find CatalogManager.properties

I'm not surprised that it repeats the message several times (though
that's probably a bug). However, I've never seen it hang because it
couldn't find the properties file. It should just use all the
defaults. Can you provide any more details about this problem?

| The example properties file uses a full path, not a relative path for
| the catalog. I put the following file in the classpath.
|
| #CatalogManager.properties
|
| verbosity=1
|
| # Always use semicolons in this list
| catalogs=docbook-dtd/docbook.cat
|
| prefer=public
|
| static-catalog=yes
|
| allow-oasis-xml-catalog-pi=yes
|
| catalog-class-name=com.sun.resolver.Resolver
|
| I was hoping the system would use relative path from the classpath point
| where it found the CatalogManager.properties file and it doesn't work.

Well, that's one reasonable scenario. Another is that it would use the
relative path from the point where system was invoked. If you put
"./catalog" in your path, this provides something similar to the
TR9401 rule that a file called 'catalog' in the same directory as the
document was always loaded.

Anyway, I just added a new property 'relative-catalogs' that lets you
select the behavior that you want.

| I also tried a full path which works but is sub-optimal for me as this
| path is hardcoded in the property file. Here is the output which either
| way has the "Cannot parse" message. With no network it just hangs. It
| can't find the catalog so it tries to fall back and use the URL?

Oh, yes, is this possibly the problem that you have when you don't
have a CatalogManager.properties file? If there is no local mapping,
the URI in the document will be used and if that refers to a network
address and you're not on the net it may hang for a long time (I think
it should eventually time out, though).

| html:
|      [echo] Transforming: example.xml
|      [echo] Into        :
| /home/maxwell/pws/jdocbook/jdocbook_02/docroot/docs/example/example.html
|      [java] Cannot parse verbosity: 1

Oh, barf. I bet you have a trailing space on the verbosity and Java
can't convert "1 " into an integer. I just added trim() to fix this.

| I'm using xalan-j_2_2_D6 and here is how I am calling Xalan from ant.
|
|     <java fork="true"
| 	  classname="${xslt.processor}"
|           classpathref="xalan.classpath">
|       <arg line="-IN ${input.file}
| 	   -XSL file://${xhtml.driver}
| 	   -OUT ${output.file}
| 	   -URIRESOLVER com.sun.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver
| 	   -ENTITYRESOLVER com.sun.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver"/>
|     </java>
|
| Don't really know how to proceed but the wrapper provided by Marc-Aurčle
| for the old code worked great and I could pass the catalog as a system
| property which I think is perhaps an alternate way to pass the minimal
| property needed(the catalog) to the Resolver code.

The CatalogManager.properties file is supposed to replace all those system
properties. If you set verbosity=4 (and make sure there's no trailing space),
you will get a lot more debugging information. If that doesn't make the
problems clear, please let me know.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--