Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Sun Resolver classes released

/ Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> was heard to say:
| Briefly, what additional functionality do the sun resolver classes add
| to the arbortext classes you released last April (and Zirka's Saxon
| extension)?
|
| Here're my guesses:
|
| - support for OASIS XML Catalogs
| - easier hooks for Xalan
| - direct support for XP, independent of XT
|
| What have I missed?

Support for JAXP URI resolvers is the most obvious new feature. And
the new code is more easily extensible.  For example, I've implemented
the following extension:

<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog"
         xmlns:ext="http://nwalsh.com/xcatalog/1.0"
         prefer="public">

  <ext:uriSuffix suffix="/fo/docbook.xsl"
       uri="xsl/fo/docbook.xsl"/>

  <ext:uriSuffix suffix="/html/docbook.xsl"
       uri="xsl/html/docbook.xsl"/>

  <ext:systemSuffix suffix="docbookx.dtd"
       uri="docbook/xml/docbookx.dtd"/>
</catalog>

This extension says that any URI that ends in /fo/docbook.xsl should
be redirected to my local copy of fo/docbook.xsl. And similarly for the
others. This saves me from tweaking the URIs and system identifiers in
almost all the test cases that people send me. Whew!

(This extension is actually implemented in com.sun.resolvers.Resolver, btw)

| I plan to package the classes for debian, though it looks like they'll
| have to go into the nonfree section.

Uh, if you can do that at all. I'm not sure what the Sun binary license
agreement says about repackaging.

| BTW, sorry I missed the O'Reilly conference, family health issues required me to be
| elsewhere. Maybe next year...

I hope everyone is well now and I look forward to seeing you when I
see you. :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--