Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: best tool for docbook?

Well, Holger, it may be just that some of us find emacs a clumsy,
cumbersome editor. If that sounds harsh, you should hear what some of the
other writers in my group have to say about emacs.

I actually prefer writing and editing in markup, but emacs--even with
psgmlx and the Windows settings--is a drag. I agree that emacs+psgml (or
psgmlx) offers a solution, especially for those who can't or don't want to
work in Windows, but I certainly wouldn't classify the combination as one
of the "best tools for DocBook."

Dennis Grace

IBM Information Developer
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

                    Holger Rauch
                    <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de>       To:     docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
                    Sent by:                       cc:
                    hrauch@miami.datech2.er.       Subject:     Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: best tool for docbook?
                    heitec.net

                    08/22/01 01:44 AM
                    Please respond to Holger
                    Rauch

Hi!

I'm wondering why noone dared to mention Emacs+PSGML mode,
especially the psgmlx package maintained by Mark Johnson.
It makes setting up Emacs and PSGML a breeze. You just run the
"test" shell script that's included, and everything is done for you.
Besides, you get a lot of different color themes for syntax
highlighting to choose from. And, last but not least, it's freely
available.

It's available from

           http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/psgmlx/

Surely, some of the readers on this list will object, that you can not
expose people to markup who have been using WYSIWYG word processors
before. I do admit that, but still these people are much better off
if they take some time to get used to editing with markup. There is no
real WYSIWYG in context with SGML/XML anyway, I think all approaches are
just approximations, but no *real* WYSIWYG.

Greetings,

           Holger