Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: Minutes: DocBook Technical CommitteeMeeting: 21 Aug 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:52:55PM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >   I don't fully understand the problem from an editor point of view, they
> > just have names with ':' in them, they should not have to worry about this,
> > those are of course perfectly acceptable XML Names per the XML spec. Do
> > you mean that XMetaL, Epic and Emacs+PSGML don't support names with ':' ?
>
> They support it, but they don't support XSD or other schema language
> which is able to handle namespaces. Without schema definition for your
> document instances your editor cann't guide you while editing and cann't
> check validity of your documents on the fly. Today's well supported

  Yes, you can use DtD for this if you accept to have a predefined
prefix for the namespace. Using xlink:href in the DTD is IMHO perfectly
acceptable, and will work with those tools.

> schema language is only DTD - no namespace support, no easy way to
> integrate with other DTDs.

  You don't need Schemas to validate a document made of multiple namespaces.
You do only if you absolutely require the need to have any possible prefix
for a given namespace. I don't think this constraint is needed in the
DocBook framework.

> It possible to merge DTD, but you must fix namespace prefixes, which is
> not what all users want. If you want to mix two DTD they must be well

  I do think it's a perfectly acceptable solution until tools get updated to
Schemas if they ever are.
  If you use DtDs only, then you have to use predefined prefixes, with
the namespace declarations possibly defaulted from the DTD. If your tools
are upgraded to Schemas, then you will be able to map those namespace to any
value. Sounds a simple and clear upgrade path.

  I think that not reusing other specifications under the argument that
in that case you want to be able to map the associated namespace prefix
to any values would be a really hard position to defend. I hope that's
not what you are suggesting. But I understand that the initial work of
merging DTDs is not very fun nor easy.

Daniel