Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Catalog dor DocBook and URI for the XSL stylesheets

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:12:15AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
> |  I'm integrating XML Catalog into libxml and libxslt, and I would
>
> Woo hoo! Thanks, Daniel!
>
> |  So basically I'm wondering:
> |    - if there is a default XML Catalog template for DocBook XML Dtds
> |      (preferably based on 4.1.2)
> |    - if there is a default XML Catalog template for DocBook XSLT stylesheets
>
> The idea of a default catalog is sort of odd to me. The point of a catalog
> is to map from public/system identifiers and URIs to local copies of the
> resources. If there was a standard "local place" we could have a standard
> catalog. Uh, but we also wouldn't need the catalog :-)
>
> So perhaps I misunderstand?

  that's why I said template :-), basically if you take the approach
that the local tree is very much like a mirror of the web hosting the
canonical system identifiers, then you have a single invariant which
is the root of that tree in the local filesystem.

   And since catalogs uses URI-References, making them relative solves
the problem :-) ...
   If you look at
     ftp://xmlsoft.org/test/dbk412catalog.tar.gz
 the usr/share/docbook/catalog gives an idea of the kind of thing I'm
looking at, very similar to the SGML catalog in the distribution,
and with rewriteSystem and rewriteURI maintenance can be really minimal.

  Now how this catalog is actually consulted is just a matter of agreeing
on a common root like /etc/xml/catalog on Unices (or killing anybody who
disagree and refuses to use an environment variable), and selecting wisely
the set of delegatePublic delegateSystem and delegateURI for that catalog
taht should be placed in one of the super-catalogs.

  So there is just 2 things really needed:
    - a generic catalog like the SGML one
    - the set of delegate to use for DocBook-x.y.z

> |   I can relatively easilly produce the former, but for the latter
> | I don't even know of URIs associated to the DocBook XSLT stylesheets,
> | it seems they don't have a standard location in the Web.
>
> They do now, actually,
>
>   http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/{$VERSION}/...
>
> Where $VERSION="snapshot" is a pointer to some working stuff.

  Fantastic, do you bless using them in stylesheet PIs , xsl:include and
xsl:import constructs ?

Daniel