Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: xml diff tools

Eric Richardson <eric.richardson@milagrosoft.com> writes:

> Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions about xml diff
> type tools. I'm familiar with standard diff and the cvs tools but
> wondering if a tool like xmldiff would help for collaborating in a
> non-connected environment like editing and returning the edited copy.
> Is anybody doing anything similar and using any of these Free Software
> tools?
>
> An example:
> http://www.logilab.org/xmldiff/
>
> I know there is also a changebar type feature to the stylesheets but I'm
> not sure how to use or edit docbook to get it to work. Does anybody use
> this feature?

I've used the changebars.xsl stylesheet (in the standard stylesheet
distro) in combination with Norm Walsh's "diffmk" utility:

  http://www.sun.com/xml/developers/diffmk/

...which generates a doc that shows deletes in strike-through, added
text in one color, changed text in another. It's very easy to use,
two-step process:

  1. Run "diffmk -docytpe docbook <old.xml> <new.xml> <diffs.xml>"
  2. Run XSLT engine on diffs.xml w/ changebars.xsl to get diffs.html

HTH,

  --Mike