Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: Putting titles below figures

I don't have an answer to your immediate question, but my opinion on the
longer term question is that putting the title under the graphic is the
natural default. Most books seem to use that style. (Just a personal
observation--I have no data).

I don't use Norm Walsh's stylesheets, but I do use DocBook.

Since I create documents in FrameMaker+SGML, however, my approach is
somewhat dictated by the processor. I have set up my EDD (sort of a
combination DTD and stylesheet) to put table titles above tables and figure
titles below the figures.

I don't use the "caption" element. Instead, I put all graphics into one-cell
tables and use the title for the table as the figure title. This is what
Frame likes, and it still creates reasonable SGML.

David F. Nilsson