Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Any suggestions on Java problems? (with Saxon)

* Dan York:

> Having some Java problems today.  Normally I use 'xsltproc' for all my
> DocBook XML,  but today I  wanted to do  a comparison with  the output
> from Saxon 6.2.2.

I find saxon much better than xsltproc in terms of output.  For example,
saxon outputs entity references  for latin-1 characters.  Also, xsltproc
does  not yet  fully  implements the  XSLT standard.   I  once tried  to
process a document written with  Resume DTD, and xsltproc failed whereas
saxon did the job perfectly.

However with saxon, because the JVM must be started each time you invoke
saxon, and sadly because  of the very nature of Java,  it is much slower
than xsltproc.

If you read M. Kay's  book, I'm sure you will be  a Saxon addict.  IMHO,
it is really a professional XSLT processor, it is very careful about all
the subtleties of implementing XSLT.

> $ java com.icl.saxon.Stylesheet sample.xml indent.xsl > out-saxon.xml
  $ java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet sample.xml indent.xsl > out-saxon.xml
                           ---
Capitalize the s :-)

BTW, I know you tweaked a lot  the XSL stylesheets, so could you tell me
(or maybe someone else who reads this) how you would manage to alter the
output HTML's <title/>  tag, for example to make my  company name appear
in all window titles.

Cheerio!
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot