Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: docbook visual editor

Hi Andrew,

[moving this discussion to docbook-apps]

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 05:39:23PM +0200, The DeerBear wrote:
> With the occasion of this first message I introduce myself.
> My name is Andrew and I am a programmer.
> I've been asked to write a docbook visual editor( that may become
> open-source )

We at Alcove are in the process to start working on the Thot editor (a
generic editor for structured documents - part of the project is stall
since '97), with the goal to add docbook support to it.  Thot is
already Free-Software.  Maybe we can join our efforts to get it done
faster and at a lower cost for everyone ?

Here is a little blurb I wrote to present it internally

  Thot is a graphical editor for structured documents, based on
  motif/lesstif ans on a generic library (thotlib), both developped at
  INRIA in Grenoble. The last release of Thot occured in october '97.

  Thotlib has continued to evolve within the W3C, as a base to the Amaya
  browser/editor, where recently a port to Gtk was started (experimental
  in Amaya 5.1).

  Thot has the potential to be the WYSIWYG editor for DocBook which
  we miss for the consistency of our documents.

Refs:
  http://www.inrialpes.fr/opera/pub/Thot/index.html
  http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

You can get old precompiled binaries to test it, but it looks like
there are problems on GNU/Linux systems with a recent libc+toolchain -
there will probably be some debugging to do (I already have a couple
of build patches, but they're largely unsufficient).

Linux bins: ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X/thot/
Others: http://www.inrialpes.fr/opera/pub/Thot/Doc/thoteditor/Download.html#Getting

Other volunteers welcomed :)

We'll probably set that up as a project on the sourceforge-like
freesoftware.gnu.org, as soon as we're sure it makes no problem for
the W3C/Amaya people (in CC).

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre