Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Working with CVS

Dmitry,

> The point is that I want to edit XML files on CVS and then be able to
> convert them to HTML (and possibly PDF) under Linux. How can I do
> that?

We do precisely that. Pretty much *all* of our documents are written
in either DocBook SGML or DocBook XML and *all* of them are stored in
CVS for revision control.  Some time ago, I wrote up the process we use at:

  http://www.e-smith.org/docs/docprocess.html

I have been doing more and more with XML these days, so that page may be
dated, but it shows you one way that you can work with it.

> What software I need to install on CVS server to complete the
> task? I am a newbie actually and I would be grateful if you give me a

As far as CVS, there is nothing you need to do. Install it on a server.
Have authors check out a local working copy on their systems. Have them
start adding and committing documents. That's it.

If you want to go the extra step Godoy mentions and have post-commit scripts
that validate the XML, that's cool, too.  I haven't needed to do that as
there are only a couple of us who work on our docs, and we have our systems
down (that include validating before committing).

FYI, for LinuxWorld this past August in San Francisco, I gave a talk on
CVS (written in DocBook XML using Norm's Slides doctype) that does have
some intro material. It can be found at:

  http://www.lodestar2.com/people/dyork/talks/cvs/

(although... sigh... I note that I haven't uploaded the version that I did
at LW that had a few minor tweaks... someday...)

As someone else mentioned, all the CVS info you could want is off of
http://www.cvshome.org/  I also point people to the online version of the
Coriolis CVS book at http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401 Cell: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739