Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Odd formatting of lists

I use DocBook 3.1, DSSSL stylesheets 1.70, OpenJade 3.1, Jadetex 3.10, and
various PDF and DVI viewers.

Considering an example document such as

<variablelist>
 <varlistentry>
  <term>TERM</term>
  <listitem>
   <para>
    This term is really uninteresting but I need to make this text long
    enough that it becomes two lines.
   </para>
   <para>
    This might be a second paragraph.
   </para>
  </listitem>
 </varlistentry>
</variablelist>

This gets formatted like this:

TERM

     This term is really uninteresting but I need to make this text long
    enough that it becomes two lines.

    This might be a second paragraph.

What annoys me slightly is the extra space before the first line of the
first paragraph ("This...").

This problem really exists with the other list types as well, though it's
a bit less obvious there, e.g, itemizedlists looks like this:

1.   This is some really long and boring paragraph to demonstrate this
    formatting problem.

2.   This is another one, though shorter.

I looked at the DSSSL code and I think someone's messing up the
indentation calculations, because it should be

 neg. indent. of first line

/----------\
[line field][first line of paragraph]
^           [second line of paragraph]
|           ^
|           display group's indentation

left edge

Apparently, a line field of width X is wider than an indentation of width
X.  This is the only problem area I could guess at, because paragraphs
outside of lists look fine.

Any ideas?