Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Error: Output character not available

Gershon L Joseph wrote:

> I've got Saxon 6.4.3 working with the XSL DocBook stylesheets, and on some
> XML source files produce nice HTML Help. However, on a large docset I
> get the following error:
>
> Error on line 117 of
> file:/C:/tools/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.45/html/chunker.xsl:
>   Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 8217)
> Transformation failed: run-time errors were reported
>
> My XML files are encoded in UTF-8, so I don't understand what's going on
> here. Any ideas?

Well, there is another prove of bad design of HTML Help Workshop. This
appliacation can't handle Unicode properly. You must use single-byte
encodings in configuration files. By default ISO-8859-1 encoding is used
and this encoding didn't contain Unicode character 8217 (right single
quotation mark). Only solution to get around this problem is using other
encoding which contains this character. It depends on language you are
using, but windows-1252 might be useful for you. You can change encoding
used for project file by parameter htmlhelp.encoding. You can set this
parameter in customization file or pass it on command line:

saxon yourfile.xml /path/to/htmlhelp.xsl
"htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252"

This will solve error mentioned in your message. If you will get some
"funny" characters in ToC or index, you should use two additional
parameters to finaly solve lacks in HTML Help:

saxon yourfile.xml /path/to/htmlhelp.xsl
"htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252" "default.encoding=windows-1252"
"saxon.character.representation=native"

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz